Retexturing kuula floors

A place to provide all of NCI and NCI leadership with questions, suggestions, comments, or any other kind of feedback.
LindaB Helendale

Retexturing kuula floors

Post by LindaB Helendale »

I heard there's a plan to retexture kuula floors, and I thought it'd be good to have a thread to discuss it.

I don't have any opinions what the textures should be but I'd like to emphasize some design criteria, especially if the textures will have tile patterns, like some test textures I saw there.

The visual environment is very rich of details for newbies. In visual search in the brain there's automatic pre-attentive stage where the visual field is searched in parallel for all kind of texture and detail primitives (including texture details, object details, color, contrast, movement, ...) and things that differ from surrounding patterns have so called pop-out effect, they are passed to the attentive processing and guide focusing of attention to the things you spot first in the scene.

The signs and info boards are all rectangular boxes, that are easy to spot when the background textures don't have similar patterns, but if the floor has square patterns, it reduces the pop-out effect of the relevant items.
Hence, if tile patterns are desired, the primitive patterns should be clearly different in size and shape from the rectangles in the signs/info boards/freebie boards, and strong colors and contrasts should be avoided, so that the floor would be automatically segmented as background and the relevant items would catch the attention.
ℒindα ℬ
Imnotgoing Sideways

Re: Retexturing kuula floors

Post by Imnotgoing Sideways »

I hadn't considered the visual aspect of tiles like that. Though, considering, people don't notice our signs now. I'm not sure of what hope we have of making things any worse. (._.)

What I've seen of the tiles, the repeats were rather low and they appeared more as slabs to me. I do find the textures attractive. I just hope they're put to use with care and consideration of existing content and an overall synergy of appearances. (^_^)

A discussion is surely in order. Be it in this thread or otherwise. (^_^)

The textures are being explored. Will any of the build be changed? (o.o)
What would life be like in a world without nipples? =^-^=
Kreechur

Re: Retexturing kuula floors

Post by Kreechur »

Imnotgoing Sideways wrote:I hadn't considered the visual aspect of tiles like that. Though, considering, people don't notice our signs now. I'm not sure of what hope we have of making things any worse. (._.)

What I've seen of the tiles, the repeats were rather low and they appeared more as slabs to me. I do find the textures attractive. I just hope they're put to use with care and consideration of existing content and an overall synergy of appearances. (^_^)

A discussion is surely in order. Be it in this thread or otherwise. (^_^)

The textures are being explored. Will any of the build be changed? (o.o)
Yes we have changed some of the build also, although for the most part we have only switched out one design for the walls/arches with another. The tile texture seemed to not be accepted very well, the general consensus being that it looked 'too busy', so we have gone with a different wood/plank texture for now. Additionally, the "Prim Finder" and "The Mighty Prim" have been moved over to the large sandbox area, as this makes more sense both with the current design, and from the historical NCI layout. Being next to the sandbox instead of at the furthest possible point away from it while still on NCI land seemed like a logical step in updating the Kuula design.

Feel free to comment or make suggestions.