New all-in-one HUD, AdNode, Freebie Giver, Radar, Adventure

A place to provide all of NCI and NCI leadership with questions, suggestions, comments, or any other kind of feedback.
Trinity Coulter

New all-in-one HUD, AdNode, Freebie Giver, Radar, Adventure

Post by Trinity Coulter »

What do you guys think about something that NCI could give to residents that would have a mini-version of the freebie board, along with maybe a small AdNode piece inside it, and maybe outside news from blogs or freebie sites, along with maybe some other useful tools like radar or platform rezzer, or some kind of adventure game like Tiny Empires, etc?

Just really an all-in-one superHUD thing sponsored by NCI?
Trinity Coulter

Re: New all-in-one HUD, AdNode, Freebie Giver, Radar, Adventure

Maybe also with built in events notification like for upcoming classes, or maybe for large inworld events like Burning Life or Second Life Birthday or etc, and also maybe built-in tours for popular places to go inworld?
Afon
NCI Officer

Post by Afon »

Would it be possible for a mock up of this idea to be presented?
Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise.
Jaco Schaffner

Post by Jaco Schaffner »

So one of its functions would be a 'portable' version of the freebie wall? Not that I have any say in this, but I would vote against that. I feel it's better to have people actually come to an NCI location to use the freebie wall. That way more newbies stay 'in touch' with the NCI location and may run into the NCI staff as well as other newbies more often, which I think is better.
Trinity Coulter

NCI is great as a way to start people out in SL, but I don't expect that we are wanting to hold people at NCI every day, but instead simply serving as the introduction for SL... the idea I was proposing with this all-in-one HUD, including a freebie spotlight or freebie finder, would be to still have people staying in touch with NCI even tho we know that they are going to be going out and exploring, and to have the opportunity to expand the AdNode revenue, which greatly helps support NCI, to 1000's more people than currently would see it by only visiting actual NCI locations.

Its wouldn't replace the one-on-one interaction or helpfulness or classes, but enhance NCI's ability to inform people about those things, as well as expand NCI's reach. Obviously a full-sized freebie board would be be a little bit much in a tiny HUD interface, but incorporating some aspect of that would definitely seem to add to the appeal of 'why?' someone would want to have something like that on their avie all the time.
Blu Laszlo
NCI Officer

Post by Blu Laszlo »

Trinity's ideas have a lot of merit, but Jaco's point is also well taken. People revisiting NCI certainly helps with our visibility and traffic.
Blu Laszlo
Trinity Coulter

Why make people have to revisit NCI locations just to find out that something they like is going on?

The entire purpose of NCI is not to encourage masses of people to stay at NCI, but to help people grow and move on, and to encourage new people to come in.

If you give people something they can take with them, not only do you accomplish a great deal of what you're suggesting (keeping them involved in NCI), but you're also spreading the reach of NCI beyond its borders.
Blu Laszlo
NCI Officer

Post by Blu Laszlo »

The entire purpose of NCI is not to encourage masses of people to stay at NCI, but to help people grow and move on, and to encourage new people to come in.

Totally agreed. That is the reason why we need high visibility and traffic.
Blu Laszlo
Trinity Coulter

Nothing is more visible than an item you can wear and take with you everywhere.
Angr Valeur

Post by Angr Valeur »

I really would like to see a means of event notification/reminder in a HUD. Something not dependent on the Group Notifications list, but rather on user defined times. The Group Notifications work but they're usually only posted a few minutes before class. It could also be easier to get to the respecitve classes/rooms with a HUD as a teleporter. I'm brand new but I'll look into a mock up. I'm an excellent copy paster if there is any open source or creative commons script available. If a HUD can't be implemented then maybe a campus teleport map could be. I've seen a couple of these maps if you need an idea of what I'm talking about.

+++this was also a bump to reintiate the idea.