Help Wanted in NCI - Freebies

A place to provide all of NCI and NCI leadership with questions, suggestions, comments, or any other kind of feedback.
Janet Rossini

Help Wanted in NCI - Freebies

Post by Janet Rossini »

Are you interested in assisting NCI with our goal of helping new citizens? There are often opportunities to do so. I'm starting this thread to list some of the areas where we need help. If some of them sound interesting, please put a note in this thread, or contact me directly in world. My IMs go to my email, which is valkyriejanet@gmail.com

If you are looking for help FROM NCI, or looking to sell something or hire someone outside NCI, this is not the place to post things. This thread is for legitimate NCI-sponsored roles and activities.

Thanks! Now to the first opportunity:

Opportunity: Freebies

NCI has a large number of freebie boards all over NCI, and many different freebies. Commonly freebies has been handled by only one or two people: I've volunteered to help find new staff for freebies, and I'm thinking that having a few people might lighten the load and make the work easier. There are a number of aspects to the freebie activity, including:
  • Freebie Champion = lead the freebie effort and own the overall responsibility;
  • Selection and Quality = ensure quality control of existing freebies, including correct operation and permissions, suitability for our citizens, etc.;
  • Sponsor Relations = maintain contact with new and existing citizens who wish to offer freebies for advertising or other purposes;
  • Vendor Maintenance = check the existing vendors occasionally, update them as needed, liaise with LL and other location owners;
  • Server Maintenance = provide textures as needed, box up freebies, load new freebies into the servers, remove obsolete ones;
  • Freebie Software = make necessary changes to in-world and server software, and/or liaise with NCI IT or other software providers;
It turns out that there is a fair amount of work to do here, requiring different interests and skills, ranging from scripting and building, to creating box textures, to working with sponsors and other freebie providers to get their offerings in order.

We have historically filled this role with one person, perhaps with a backup. Recently we had one person and a programmer/scripter. This time around, I'm interested in staffing the area a bit more flexibly, perhaps with a small team and a leader, the "Freebie Champion". We might accept a single person for all the work, but I believe it'll work much better with a small team.

This is a very responsible position, as the champion--and possibly team members--have access to the NCI freebie servers, and the database needs to be kept in good order.

If you think you might be interested, please do contact me and we can chat about it. If you have questions and concerns, let's try discussing them here. If nothing else, they will help me to improve this idea.

Please note ... not all candidates can be selected for all positions. The specific structure for this position will need to be ratified by my fellow Senior Land Officers, and probably by Tateru as well. I'm working to put together a small self-organizing team for this, and not everyone agrees that this is a good idea. I expect everything will come together smoothly, but one never knows.

This is an excellent chance to help our incoming new citizens, and I hope you'll consider doing your part. Please do get in touch. Thanks!
I don't work here: I volunteer here. I don't have duties: I have small gifts which I offer.

Janet Rossini
NCI Supporter
http://valkyriejanet.wordpress.com
Janet Rossini

Re: Help Wanted in NCI - Freebies (Followup)

Post by Janet Rossini »

I have already heard from some interested people! Wow! So I've had to figure out what I'll do. Here's my plan:

I will have at least a brief chat with anyone applying. My questions are like these: what kinds of things like this have you done before? what interests you about it? how might you go about it?

I will keep notes on everyone who gets in touch, and I'll commit to get back to everyone when we know what is happening. I plan to give this about a week to reach out into the world, and I might post notices a few more times. Please contact anyone you know who may be interested in some aspect of this position.

I'm not a perfect administrator by any means, so if I don't get back to you and you wonder what's up, please get in touch. Thanks!
I don't work here: I volunteer here. I don't have duties: I have small gifts which I offer.

Janet Rossini
NCI Supporter
http://valkyriejanet.wordpress.com