Lower lag

A place to provide all of NCI and NCI leadership with questions, suggestions, comments, or any other kind of feedback.
fr43k Paine

Lower lag

Post by fr43k Paine »

Hello everyone!

Two days ago, Zert and me had an interesting discussion about the scripts in Kuula.
Zert was so kind to script and leave a test object in Ukanipo that was logging sim restarts. There was one, and the texture animation on that object remained, even after he removed the script, and the sim got restarted. Means, as far as we're aware, the texture animation becomes part of the prim and there is no more need for a script. So, instead of using llTargetOmega we could replace them, by using texture animation (i.e. NCI Help Spinner, NCI AR Sign, NCI Donation Kiosk) and remove the scripts, what might use less ressources.
It is just one out of many examples, but nevertheless it's a start.
Also, I am sure we have a lot of scripts that are running (in) Mono, and some are not.
It would be very interesting to investigate that and see, if really all scripts profit from it (well, their rendering time).
Additionally we should finally check, if there are still any unneeded scripts running (Banlink, Cage-, and Fraud-Detector (at the Beach was one that was rezzing covering prims around Pyramid-, and Ponzi scheme-Objects that were using scripted payment methods.).
Ther is also a script in each of the seats in the upper deck in Kuula...
Are all these scripts really still needed/useful, or could they get deleted and disengage the server, that is hosting the sim?

Long story short: What about a (small) team, like the builder team for the DS sim, that looks deeper into that? I would have thought about 5-6 people. Maybe 2-3 scripters, 1 or 2 people that are familiar with server software (Le Tigre and other) and 1-2 Land Officers/the Snr. LO, who has access to the alts that own the rezzed objects, and last not but not least one person, that has either Estate Manager rights and, or that has access to an additional sim, where we can rez copies objects, to make comparisons.
I am sure it could be done within one, or two days: Make a list of the used objects and their scripts, get the values of their rendering time from the EM, pass a copy of the used scripts to the scripters(*1*) and let them examine, if it's still needed/coded effectively(*2*) or could be improved, go to the other sim, rez a version that is running (in) Mono and one that isn't. Compare (EM), and note the result(s).
Finally pass a result list to all, that can do changes to the scripts, that are in the original objects, to do any needed changes to the scripts, that are running on all NCI sims (not only Kuula would profit from it).
IDK how much this could, or will improve the lag, but as far as I remember (when I had EM rights elsewhere), I was able to lower the rendering time of some (of my) objects by 10 - 30%. This might be worth the effort. :D

Oh, btw: At the same time 1-2 ppl could join the team, and finally check the content (especially LM givers), if they are still up-to-date. IDK if Krystal made that as well, or was primarily focused on updating the old notecards.

So, what do you think? Any additional ideas, interest or experience (what I might have missed)?

*1*: Doesn't apply to all scripts. Some (very complex) scripts (i.e. Freebie vendors) are probably too...uhm, important/sensitive, to give away copies, so they might be left out. Besides I am pretty sure the scripters knew what they were doing. ;)
In such cases the EM might just enter the current renering time.

*2*: I.e. can a script pass on its floating text, and just use an overworked texture instead (like, click here to get LM, tp to... etc.), or would it be possible/usefull to combine some objects/scripts and use a less complex script, that still fulfills the same objective.
In Kuula are 13 or 14 posters with a LM/NC giver - what about a board (like the Freebies) that passes their content, if it's touched by a person. Would that script use less or more ressources that all the single LM/NC givers...such things.

All combinded might improve sim stability.
Your turn. :)
Janet Rossini

Re: Lower lag

Post by Janet Rossini »

Good idea, Fr. I would volunteer to help but am not logging in much lately owing to personal issues. There is a new feature for viewing scripts in the about land in V2, that may help identify ones using lots of memory etc. It is worth remembering that even idle scripts do consume memory which may be worth returning.

Generally speaking, as you know, it requires power to edit things to remove their scripts. You may have to have a hunter team and then find owners to do things.

I'd say recruit some volunteers and see what you can do!!

Thanks,

J
I don't work here: I volunteer here. I don't have duties: I have small gifts which I offer.

Janet Rossini
NCI Supporter
http://valkyriejanet.wordpress.com
Sally Savard

Post by Sally Savard »

Its important to remember that on non-physical items they are not animated by the server, but by the viewer.

Many, Many things are properties of the prim, bot the script. So both llTargetOmega and llSetTextureAnim have 0 server lag, just client lag. And we all have computers which can handle that.

NONEThELESS, I like the idea of NCI script squad. Most scripters are messy and inefficient.

Sally, whois is BOTH messay and inefficient
Imnotgoing Sideways

Post by Imnotgoing Sideways »

1) PLEASE don't apologize for being helpful. DX

2) YES!!!

I'm rest assured that there are a ton of scripted objects we don't even use anymore... Let alone scripts. As for the spinny things... Who knows? Rotating ~vs~ 4 horizontal repeats. Animated textures on round objects have a minor distortion issue, but, surely that's negligible. (^_^)

As for landmark givers. I'm currently contacting the organizations which we currently offer landmarks for in order to get their textures as property of NCI Alchemi and update any necessary landmarks. I plan to network then, not unlike the notecard givers, using a low-prim, script efficient solution. (^_^)

Fight the lag! (^_^)y
What would life be like in a world without nipples? =^-^=
Beverly Montgomery
NCI Officer

Post by Beverly Montgomery »

for one, at one time i was told that most or all scripts in kuula had been switched to mono, after mono came out. second yes i reviewed scripts in kuula when v2 first came out and spike had introduced me to it, it is diff than the way they are viewed in estate tools however i got with garn and we removed the highest scripted items, that were not important. my dance balls, couple games in the game room and a few other things that were out there. btw

a couple times a couple people have put out scripted items that were not mono there and they caused horrible lag, another btw hehehe

and fr43k didn't you know that some scripts still work even after being removed. hehehe just a reminder there. :D

Bev
PeaceSmythe
NCI Officer

Post by PeaceSmythe »

Solo Mornington made a nice web served LM giver implimted in scripting. I haven't had the time to implement it in a giver, but that may save some work.

Peace
--Peace
Imnotgoing Sideways

Post by Imnotgoing Sideways »

Ah, cool. I'll poke'im when I get the time. (^_^)
What would life be like in a world without nipples? =^-^=
Janet Rossini

Post by Janet Rossini »

The issue with mono scripts is that they use 4x the memory of LSL ones. So it really only pays to use mono for scripts that are heavy processing. I have converted most of my scripts in Lexi back to LSL, except for speed-critical ones.
I don't work here: I volunteer here. I don't have duties: I have small gifts which I offer.

Janet Rossini
NCI Supporter
LindaB Helendale

Post by LindaB Helendale »

Janet Rossini wrote:The issue with mono scripts is that they use 4x the memory of LSL ones. So it really only pays to use mono for scripts that are heavy processing. I have converted most of my scripts in Lexi back to LSL, except for speed-critical ones.
LSL uses always 16 kB memory, Mono uses dynamic memory allocation, allocating only the needed memory, but it allows 64 kB that is 4x more than LSL. However, the byte code of Mono is much longer than in LSL, so 4 kB LSL code may take over 10 kB in Mono eating up part of the extra available memory.

The script stats functions, such as llGetObjectDetails(id,[OBJECT_SCRIPT_MEMORY]) appear to report the Mono memory usage wrong, as flat 64 kB.

As fas as I know, having wasted memory in scripts affects tp's when you carry them, but for static scripts in the sim memory would not be a major issue in lag, compared to scripts that have lot of events triggered or execute a lot of code.
ℒindα ℬ
Janet Rossini

Post by Janet Rossini »

I believe that in fact mono allocates larger chunks than LSL. We might want to check this out further, as Linda seems to disagree. Certainly the reports you get, as she says, say 64. I would be inclined to live by the reports if that is all we have. I would like to have better information if anyone has any.

Janet Rossini
NCI Supporter