Concept for NCI Mall 2.0

A place to provide all of NCI and NCI leadership with questions, suggestions, comments, or any other kind of feedback.
Imnotgoing Sideways

Concept for NCI Mall 2.0

Post by Imnotgoing Sideways »

I'm tossing together an idea for a new layout for the New Resident Mall.

What it is right now is 16 vendor spaces, all facing one direction. I'm using one space for a layout demo. I think the original plan was to allow people to use both sides of each wall, but, I found it easier to give people their own whole wall as most everyone is <120 days in SL and not prone to cam around to see if they're penetrating. (=_=)

What I've put together is 24 vendor spaces, facing toward the center of the mall and the entry way. I'll still use one space as a demo and continue to rely on one wall per vendor. But, the walls are touching now and delimited by wooden poles. (^_^)

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Kuula/183/239/103

Please take a look and leave some constructive criticism here in this thread. All textures are free and full perms. The wood used is a LL texture from the Bay City pack. And, the build so far is 10 prims less than the original mall below. (^_^)

Given the current prim count of 114 with a potential peak of 240 vendor prims, I see a remainder of 144 prims for additional decoration. If anyone has any additional ideas on what could be added to decorate the mall, please comment in this tread. (^_^)

There is no date set as to when I'd consider using this new layout. Before I do so, I'll take input and leave an announce in the group so that the vendors will be able to facilitate the relocation of their prims. (^_^)y

P.S. - I believe a portion of the mall will be embedded into the land terraforming... So, those 4 ramps may disappear depending on how it fits into the ground. (^_^)y
What would life be like in a world without nipples? =^-^=
Kerhop Seattle

Re: Concept for NCI Mall 2.0

Post by Kerhop Seattle »

Since there's more room between stalls now, to handle that issue with penetration you could make the walls thicker (i.e. 1.5 meters thick instead of just 0.5 meters thick).
Quite Oh
NCI Officer

Post by Quite Oh »

First impressions? Good. Maybe add a bit of "walk space" on the top level so they can see them one after another.

Also, I walked to one end, then back the other way, I think most people will, and so can safely use both sides. I think it makes really good use of the space.
Raymond Nightfire

Post by Raymond Nightfire »

That new version has a much cleaner layout than the original version having everything is a single line will help new residents find things, and you might be able to find space to put up the how to cam signs
Imnotgoing Sideways

@Ker: Part of the plan is to allow penetration, as it is now. You can see some vendors have replaced their wall altogether with a decorative panel. This would only become an issue if we intend on making vendors share each wall back-to-back. (^_^)

@Quite: I agree and will consider a couple solutions. The reason I have the 4 ramps as they are was just an early idea. I haven't looked at the final slope of the land, but, once I pull the mall down, the upper level may be flush with the ground and any further building may not be needed. Considering the remaining prim count, I may do an elevated walkway of necessary. (^_^)

@Ray: If you have any decorative ideas, toss'em my way. I'm considering a couple low prim ideas using stuff I got from LL Moles. (^_^)

Please keep the ideas coming... I may drop the new build in two weeks or so. (^_^)y
Janet Rossini

Post by Janet Rossini »

Not unlike Quite's comment:

The main thing I noticed was that I can walk along the lower level shops and cannot walk along the upper level ones. I'm not sure which way is "best", and that would depend on what one wants, but the fact that they are not equally able to be browsed is troubling.
I don't work here: I volunteer here. I don't have duties: I have small gifts which I offer.

Janet Rossini
NCI Supporter
http://valkyriejanet.wordpress.com
Imnotgoing Sideways

I plan in implementing the new mall layout next weekend. Once I get the build on the ground, I'll explore the expanded walkway idea and probably experiment with it tomorrow. (^_^)

I'll be announcing the change to the NCI Mall and Land Holdings groups tomorrow to give people time to prepare and to further attract feedback. (^_^)

Thanks for all your input so far. (^_^)y
Seshat Czeret

Post by Seshat Czeret »

No particular criticisms that haven't been already made. I like it.
Every day:
  • Learn something.
    Teach something.
    Make someone smile.
Technus Grayman

Post by Technus Grayman »

We like the design Immy! Only one suggestion.

Instead of having a dropoff and several little ramps, why not make one ramp that goes the entire length of the mall. High side level with the top level, low side level with the bottom level. Only one prim needed (if you use a megaprim). Also, new folks, and some of us who are not totally new, still have difficulty navigating narrow stairs and ramps. This way, no matter where you are on either level, you can get to the other level without having to fly or negotiate narrow ramps.

Our two cents worth!

Technus and Laeluna