NCI BoD Monthly Report for September 2009

Important Announcements about NCI and these forums
Quite Oh
NCI Officer

NCI BoD Monthly Report for September 2009

Post by Quite Oh »

2009-10-01 NCI MONTHLY REPORT FROM THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS.

This report will be the first of our monthly reports from the Board of Directors, to keep you in touch with what is going on. This month has been a very busy month for everyone, and making a comprehensive list of all that was accomplished would be an enormous task, so based on some feedback from members,

I've narrowed it down to three questions, as what is hopefully just a useful overview.
  • What projects have you initiated, completed, or are working on currently with estimated due date or progress %
  • What are your next goals for this coming month?
  • Is there some extra help, skills or talent that you need that membership can help with?
GRAMMA FIDDLESTICKS, INTERIM CHAIRMAN

WHAT I DO: I plan, analyse, strategize, listen and advise, implement and oversee NCI's business systems to help keep NCI pointed toward the achievement of our objectives. Additionally, I host events and act as a Helper and land officer.

What projects have you initiated, completed, or are working on currently with estimated due date or progress %

Reorganize NCI's management process - 50% complete

Create Organization Chart - in progress

Identify all tasks needed to operate NCI and it's multifaceted mission of providing help and education for SL members - 90% complete

Create a formal Budget Plan - Done

Establish full financial monitoring process with monthly reporting - 75% complete

Establish "Centralized” repository for documentation of all NCI functions and processes with multi user access capabilities. 50% complete

Prepare and record that same documentation for every task, process or function - 10% complete

Review and refine the role of each Department Head & create Job Descriptions - 50% complete

Identify additional Staff needs, create job description for each, begin search for people with the needed skills, and time available - 33% Complete

In concert with other Directors, identify and appoint Infonode Helper Team Manager - Done

--Team to be responsible for seeking out new residents at our infonodes as well as at adjacent LL Help Centers, provide them with info about and LM's to NCI locations. Christine Grigorovich was nominated and selected to head this team. She will be actively seeking helpers.

Review and refine the roles in the Land Holdings group - 10% complete

Move Building Team from Infonode Team to Events Team - Done

-- Jeroc Lorgsval has agreed to be the Team leader. Their first project will be the design and build for the skyboxes at NCI Snow Country, Hughes. Also serving on this team are Heiko Decatur, Solo Morningstar, and Wyn Nitley. Jeroc will be seeking additional team members with excellent building and scripting skills.

What are your next goals for this coming month?

Seek out candidates for Human Resources Officer with recent RL experience in this field

Continue to examine additional funding opportunities , make recommendations for implementing some one or more of the ones now identified

Prepare for and hold 2 Halloween Events - A 3 hour one to be held at Boomer island on Wednesday 10 /28 for CF University Group and a 6 hour one to be held on Saturday 10/31 for NCI

Continue working with each respective Board member on fine tuning operations

Begin preparation of formal "By Laws" for operation of the Board that will include how the Chairman's Role functions.

Get Building Team going on design and build for NCI Snow Country at Hughes

--- Design Proposal for skyboxes at Hughes due from Building Team by Friday 10/8

Plan Open House day for NCI Snow Country at Hughes

Seek Sales/Customer Service/Marketing staff addition for AdNode Sales and Service

Help New Residents with anything and everything for which I have knowledge or skills!

Is there some extra help, skills or talent that you need that membership can help with?

Any and all suggestions for any of the above are welcome. Especially if you see I've missed identifying something that needs attention.

Work with the SLO's for each location and commit to spending time at one or more of them to help with new members

Volunteers to assist with writing the identification of and documentation of tasks

Watch the group chats and help answer questions

Attend Events to show support and help answer questions that come up!

AFON SHEPHERD, EDUCATION DEPARTMENT

WHAT I DO: I deal with everything related to education, from scheduling, to creating materials, to holding classes.

What projects have you initiated, completed, or are working on currently with estimated due date or progress %

The education dept is looking at providing a Corporation friendly class that would introduce members of a corporation to SL and give them basic skills, sufficient to look good and be effective in a meeting.

At the moment, I'm more concentrating on seeing NCI through this period rather than start new projects, I have some ideas, and I'm open to ideas from anyone.

KAINE LOWENSTARK, FINANCES

WHAT I DO: I do accounting, ensure that the books are accurate and balanced, and keep an eye out for financial trends.

Financial Department wise nothing new - the budget was balanced before I assumed the position. Garn can recruit for the InfoNode team - more helpers the merrier.

I want to acquire another high end client. Seriously push at least ONE funding suggestion into the design phase and from there into the DO phase.

Is there some extra help, skills or talent that you need that membership can help with?

Tier recruitment/ Donations

BLU LASZLO, FREEBIES DEPARTMENT

WHAT I DO: I plan, design, create, implement the software that manages the freebie system, as well as leading the freebie team in helping me do this.

a) I maintain existing freebies; removing inappropriate content, changing textures and fonts, etc

b) I accept and evaluating new freebie offerings

c) I am developing a new freebie system (in-world server and vendors that communicate with off-world databases). Much of the coding is done by Grandma Bates. The new system is past beta testing stage and we hope to be able to roll out a fully functional system within the next few weeks. A beta-vendors has been placed at Kuula - any feedback is appreciated.

a) See point 2 above.

b) Work towards a peer-review system to evaluate new freebie offers for suitability and quality.

a) Texturing: People with Photoshop skills/access are needed to help develop textures for new and existing freebies.

b) Beta testers: Anyone wanting to participate in testing the new freebie system should contact Grandma Bates

c) Peer reviewers: If you are willing to participate in the peer review program, please contact Blu Laszlo

BEVERLY MONGOMERY, SR. LAND OFFICER

WHAT I DO: I am front-line help for newbies, advise, train and direct helpers.

What projects have you initiated, completed, or are working on currently with estimated due date or progress %.

To continue what I am currently doing and possibly recruiting more helpers. What I do is more spontaneous, as helpers/officers are elected.

Spending quality time at Kuula, keep an eye on beach, and Boomers/Gunnar, :) do what is needed of me and keeping doing my SL job :)

GARN COVOVER, SR LAND OFFICER

WHAT I DO: I plan, design, create, implement and maintain in and out-world software used for "security" purposes.

Rebuild of instructor ban system for multiple user access.. I THOUGHT was ready for testing but still has some bugs that need fixing

To sit down and dig through infonode and find out all that is needed.

WELLINGTON BEAM, LAND HOLDINGS, SR. LAND OFFICER

WHAT I DO: I deal with NCI's land related issues, such as scouting, buying, selling and administering land.

At South I'm planning on having regular office hours and I'm waiting for feedback on what time would suit the most of the regulars there. It will be along the lines of people turn up and discuss anything they want but I'll be concentrating on issues relating to South and ideas people might have to improve the area.

As far as land management goes the main news is we've got Hughes and we've made some progress acquiring some other small parcels within our boundaries there.

Tier donations are in a healthy state so thanks to everyone who continues to support us there.

We also had the 512m2 parcel in Grendel donated. This will most likely be sold off or auctioned at a future fund raiser unless somebody has a better idea.

LINDA COFFEE, SR. LAND OFFICER

I initiated the original regular Helper / Land officer meeting, which for a while went off-track, but are now in full force.

I'd like to have regular helper and land officer office hours at the Beach.

I'd like to find an assistant who can help me keep up to date with what is going on at The Beach.

PEACE SMYTH, SR. LAND OFFICER

I’ve started holding office hours and will continue to do so.

Greeting newbies at Hughes,, recruited core LOs.

I’m looking for helpers.

QUITE OH, COMMUNICATIONS

WHAT I DO: I handle communications within NCI and with third parties.

1) I am helping in the creation of a centralized administrative structure on the websites in tandem with Lethe and the team. About 40% done.

2) Newsstand Manager: I have inventoried of all of NCI's assets newsstand assets. I need only delete or return the non-functional ones.

3) I am acting as the primary agent of the human resources department, and helping create the above mentioned administrative system. This is a work in progress. Approximately 20% done.

4) I have taken charge of the reinstatement of monthly Helper and LO meetings. Regular meetings will be held on the first meeting of the month. Usage of forums is highly encouraged!

6) New educational website content for the forums: The Master's series. To find renowned SL masters and have or help them write articles teaching one or more techniques that are usually attributed to the "very advanced" category.

7) Catch all: Quite Oh is currently working in Communications, Secretary of the Board, HR, Newsstands, LO, Helper, chat moderator, finding and cleaning out broom closets. In short: doing all the tedious yet important little stuff that needs to be done.

1) To complete all job descriptions as draft.

2) To have 10% of all procedures completed.

3) To complete all minute meetings

4) To finalize all newsstand tasks (deleting dead newsstands)

5) To complete one articles for The Master series.

6) To complete at a very minimum the listing of all helpers by name, so that we can gather information on favourite locations, hours of availability and discover what skills and talents they may have so that they may become even more involved with NCI if they so wish.

I'm always recruiting. Good helpers are ALWAYS appreciated. We specifically need helpers to man some info hubs. We currently need someone who can help (read: replace Quite) with Human resources Soon we'd like to ensure a continuous 24/7 coverage of all areas, infohubs and infonodes included.

LETHE NAUMOVA, WEB SERVICES

WHAT I DO: I plan, implement and maintain NCI's various internet based services, such as the blog, forums, wiki and shared documentation systems.

1) Created Blog

2) Recruited/recruiting bloggers (ongoing)

3) Created Forums

4) Creating Wiki containing both community space and important information about NCI history, staff, and operations (In progress)

5) Implemented various administrative tools to streamline the running of NCI

1) Bring myself up to speed with all current NCI IT projects and systems

2) Public launch for wiki

3) Single sign-on for public web services

I'll probably be the most active recruiter in NCI for a bit. I'm looking for individuals with experience with programming using LSL, PHP, and Perl. Other languages would be a plus. I'm also looking for individuals with patience, strong writing skills, and some experience managing online communities. Experience using Wordpress, PHPBB, and/or any major wiki system (Mediawiki/Wikipedia, Dokuwiki, Tikiwiki, etc).

Have questions? Comments? You have a lot of choices:

Talk to Quite Oh
Approach any member of the Board
Attend the board member's office hours
Read the NCI blog! http://nci-sl.org/blog/
Read and participate in the NCI forums! http://nci-sl.org/forum/
Attend the monthly Helper Meetings

Thanks!