Recruiting people inworld?

Need help? Have a question about SL or NCI? Ask ask ask away!
DrStephen Bowler

Recruiting people inworld?

Post by DrStephen Bowler »

Hello,

I am a medical student conducting a research project in world investigating anxiety in virtual environments. I am currently trying to recruit citizens to take part. I have been a member for about 5 or 6 months but I am still a little confused sometimes. Any advice relating to advertising without annoying people too many people that would be great! I tried the forums and a few other internet sites but still not some more people to take part.

Thanks
Dan (DrStephen Bowler)

p.s. the tittle is part of the trial not a RL one!
Imnotgoing Sideways

Re: Recruiting people inworld?

Post by Imnotgoing Sideways »

That's a tough one. Internet people and particularly SL people react quite negatively to surveys. One of the core reasons why is that most surveyors come out of the woodwork with a pretty generic approach. I must say, your own introduction includes very familiar statements. (>_<)

People in general don't like being researched. Consider how some people react to the census. Now add that many people are in SL for the sake of the anonymity. To simply up and ask people for personal information or an emotional response is a surefire way to spark opposition. (._.)

Anxiety can be a very personal subject for people. It's not the kind of thing you can approach anyone out on the street with and expect an answer, let alone a non-hostile response. The same goes in forums, blogs, and virtual worlds. (^_^)

Now, I have run successful surveys. But, not without a lot of sharing of my own. You can see an example here >> http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/genera ... econd.html <<. Notice that my opening post practically reads like a cliffnotes autobiography. As you can see from the next 80-some posts, people are totally willing to share with someone who has shared. (^_^)

In a way, this is apples and oranges, though. I started that thread as a means of sharing information, give and take. To simply collect information, the best you can do is make yourself visible and wait for people to volunteer. Do as the real world does. (^_^)
  • Rent advertising space wherever offered. Forums, blogs, inworld advertisers (like NCI AdNode). (^_^)
  • Sponsor inworld events, pocast/radio shows, look around at TreetTV and you'll see that most shows are often advertisement sponsored. (^_^)
  • Rent spaces in popular locations. Not unlike research centers in real shopping malls, getting a small parcel of land and loading it with poll taking objects, links to survey web sites, and such. (^_^)
For an example of automated inworld polling, check out the Ross Infohub. The operator is a very opinionated blogger and has surveys scattered all over the place. Just... Don't mention I sent you. He and I are not exactly on friendly terms. =^-^=

Expect some work ahead of you. We avatars aren't the easiest ones to deal with. We like our privacy and often prefer our anonymity. Lot's of luck to ya' though. (^_^)y
What would life be like in a world without nipples? =^-^=
PeaceSmythe
NCI Officer

Post by PeaceSmythe »

I would observe though that some people are habitual poll takers and I often cringe that these people might effectively be shaping how the academic world sees us. A few points that may help you ...

0) If you can possibly state "I will be interviewing you as your avatar and not asking RL questions." or "Some RL questions may be asked, but you may feel free not to answer them." You will get a better response.

1) Give an estimated time commitment, and inform folks if this is going to be filling out a questionaire or interviews. Be considerate of folks time, and show that you are willing to commit yours.

2) Offer to give at least a summary of your conclusions/results to the participants. This helps to bind the participant to the study and may motivate some folks to recruit for you.

For example a study on eating habits in SL ...

Toothbrushing in SL, a survey.

I am a graduate student in Digital Nutrition studying at the University of Northern South Dakota, Hoople. I have been asked to conduct a survery as to attitudes toward food, nutrition and hygene as a SL avatar. All questions asked will be in character. Each participant will be asked to make an appointment to attend a 1/2 hour personal session. The first 10-15 minutes will be filling out a short notecard questionaire, and the remainder will be a short interview. Interested participants will receive a copy of the conclusions of this study assuming, I get the 50 interviews needed.

----

Or something like that. BTW put it in your profile too.

Peace
--Peace
Immersive Afterthought

Post by Immersive Afterthought »

Is it too late to add advice or is this thread finished?
Imnotgoing Sideways

I can't be sure that the OP is still reading. I'm on a very short list of people who frequently visit. Though, any help is good help at this point. If the OP doesn't get the message, someone who arrives later may. (^_^)
PeaceSmythe
NCI Officer

Post by PeaceSmythe »

There always seems to be someone out there who wants to dissect our brans with some sort of survey. Any further discussion could at least help those people.

Peace
Imnotgoing Sideways

My brain is dangerous to dissect. I've already poisoned the well. =^-^=