New NCI Proposals - 0001 - NCI Management Organization

A place to provide all of NCI and NCI leadership with questions, suggestions, comments, or any other kind of feedback.
Loris Talon

New NCI Proposals - 0001 - NCI Management Organization

Post by Loris Talon »

0001 - NCI Management Organization

Preamble
1. NCI situation is evolving toward unforeseen directions that will come true dramatically on February.
2. Diarchy seldom works, it didn’t work well in NCI management either.
3. NCI needs a management. Democracy cannot be imposed, it must be digested by everybody. Elections would be a good method, but must be accepted by everybody.

Proposal
1. Afon takes the leadership of NCI, she is the only one that takes decisions.
2. NCI activity sectors are managed each one by a single responsible, they respond to Afon
3. NCI sectors responsible speak only for themselves and for the sector they represent, only Afon speaks in the name of NCI.
4. Afon, only, is authorized to officially represent NCI with other organizations or Lindens.
5. Afon can delegate temporarily her power.

Accomplishment
1. The actual board creates a new figure the NCI director.
2. The actual board elects Afon as NCI director.
3. Afon decides who are the people responsible for NCI sectors.
4. The above steps will be accomplished not after November 2009
Afon
NCI Officer

Re: New NCI Proposals - 0001 - NCI Management Organization

Post by Afon »

eeekkk, *runs and hides*.

If I can answer your points. Please note these are my answers, not those of the Board, so are subject to being thwacked by more official communications.

Before I start, I would like to publicly state my full support of Gramma and the other members of the BoD. Many of them are doing jobs that I personally could not find the time to do, and I consider myself to be one of the least hard working members, mainly due to RL commitments.

Preamble
1. Unforeseen things are always cropping up. I sincerely hope nothing dramatic happens in February, when Gramma steps down. Things should just continue almost as if nothing has happened.

2. *looks up Diarchy* It worked quite well while Carl and Tateru ran NCI, but times change. Currently Gramma is Chair, Garn and I are Vice Chairs. Decisions that affect NCI as a whole are taken based on a consensus of the active BoD members (there are currently 11). Decisions that are within the remit of a Board member are taken by them, Gramma decides on events, I decide on classes, SLOs decide on their respective locations, etc.

3. NCI has a management. No method of management is perfect. The BoD is currently considering how the Chairperson should be decided.

Proposals
1. I'm in the wrong TZ (I'm in the UK) so I find it difficult 'staying in the loop'. I'm also not the only one making decisions, Gramma as well as other BoD members also do. Personally, Gramma has my full support and I don;t feel I could possibly put the time in that Gramma has to support NCI. Currently I'm in full time employment in RL and have a number of RL interests (and I'm on some RL committees). I have no idea where you get the idea that I make decisions, I must have honed prevarication to a fine art!

2. This is already the case, though they report to the BoD, not an individual.

3. This should already be the case. In fact the BoD has been discussing how to separate personal posts (like this one) from BoD announcements. Quite is the PR person, so all announcements, etc, should come through her. The idea that I speak for NCI, eeekkk!

4. The Chairperson dose not always have the time (and I certainly would not), so this would be automatically delegated to the BoD member whose remit it falls under.

5. I like the sound of this one :))

Accomplishment
1. I'm opposed to any type of 'Executive' position. In my personal view, the chairperson should only make 'executive' decisions in an emergency situation, and those decisions should of a temporary nature until the full BoD ratifies them (or not).

2. This assumes I even stand for the position of Chairperson! See point 1 under Proposals as to why I would consider not standing.

3. The BoD as a whole should decide on who and how positions are filled.

4. I think a lot of what your proposing is already in place in one form or another. The how and who for the next Chairperson is currently in discussion and I'd consider that the how should be finalised by end of December.

I hope the above answers your points.
Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise.
Loris Talon

Post by Loris Talon »

Your answer just tells what the board is and what you are until now.

But my proposal is about what you should be and what the board should become in the immediate future.

Why waiting until February? By RL experience I know that it is always better to get rid quickly of resigning people. Perhaps it seems rude to say that, but pratically it is what happens in in many RL companies, at least in all companies i worked for :)

Unless we are looking for yet unknown people, you are, in my opinion, the only one that could be the chief manager of this organization, especially if we have ambitious goals but if our goals are only the organization of parties well everybody is ok.

And being in UK is perfect to move the center of the world in the midst of the atlantic ocean.
Afon
NCI Officer

Post by Afon »

Gramma is not resigning from the position of Chairperson, her term of office ends in Feb, so all we need do at the moment is plan. _if_ I take over (big if) it will be for a fixed term, possibly 6 months.

Gramma has done a hell of a lot more than organise parties, NCI would be in a hell of a mess if Gramma had not grabbed the reins. Much of what she has done has been behind the scenes, some of it will become more visible, some (other folks messes she has had to clear up) will be hidden forever. All organisations have an unwritten history, and Gramma is a major character for good in NCI's unwritten history.

Thank you for your confidence in me, but the Chairperson of NCI dose not necessarily have to be popular :)
Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise.