Iâ€™m writing these notes because we cannot procrastinate longer a clear position on supporting SL viewers.
I remind that official viewers are:
- the standard 2.0 Linden Lab viewer;
- the SnowGlobe open source viewer;
- Viewers that are certified according to â€œPolicy on Third-Party Viewersâ€, http://secondlife.com/corporate/tpv.php
I urge every member of Staff group, especially directors, to reach a definitive, shared, unambiguous opinion about this subject. To define quickly rules and methods to implement effectively our support, because at the moment 2.0 supports is left to the initiative of some isolated individuals.
Iâ€™m posing some hot issues.
1) The official viewer is obviously v2.0 should all of us use this viewer? If not, how can we grant support to new residents that, unavoidably, will use this viewer more and more?
2) Should we support Emerald? I remind that this viewer is not yet certified, if we decide to support it how can we organize ourselves to effectively support it in presence of an official 2.0 viewer?
3) How can we efficiently advertise our decision, whatever it will be?
But Iâ€™m also proposing an organization.
1) Being recognized: evidently people are very passionate about user interfaces, nothing new under the sun, wars like the one we are seeing these days, were fought in the past (vi vs. emacs, Windows vs. Linux and so on). If we decide to support several viewers my proposal is that it should be evident on our helper tag what kind of support we can offer.
2) Being grouped: listing groups of helpers that offer themselves to help for some specific viewer. Lists are handy to contact the appropriate helpers in case of question that cannot be answered directly.